We were promised a wine extract kit from one of our main distributors. They were bragging about the quality you can get with very little practice. We asked for a Malbec and received it the following week.
This was so easy, we managed to produce 5 gallons of wine in between our 45 minute and 10 minute hop additions, and this was with us reading the instructions 3 times over. Future wines will be even quicker. Easiest double brew day ever.
The jury is still out on the taste, but here’s the low down on the day of. Accompanied by one of George’s new favorite things: a collage (he still needs practice).
1. Clean sanitize fermenter and a funnel.
2. Dissolve bentonite (a clarifier) in quart of warm water and add to fermenter.
3. Add wine extract. The less concentrated the extract, the more expensive the kit.
4. Rinse the emptied extract bag w warm water and add to fermenter.
5. Top off w water to 5 gal mark, stir vigorously, add yeast.
14 days later we added some more clarifiers and racked to secondary. Fred Brophy of a href=”http://Www.mashheads.com”Mash Heads/a recommends racking several times. We’ll probably do one more in a week, and bottle by day 45.
We’ll test it on Molly once it’s ready. And will post our thoughts. We’re thinking temp control on the next fermentation.
span class=”post_sig”From The Homebrewer’s phone. Please excuse any typos… We were focusing on the wort./span